Metagenics Silymarin IC 90vc
- Milk Thistle may act as a hepatoprotective to help maintain healthy liver function.
- Milk Thistle contains Silymarin, which has illustrated hepatoprotective properties; demonstrating increases in the redox state and total glutathione content of the liver.
- Silymarin protects the liver by altering the structure of the hepatocyte cell membrane, by being incorporated into the hydrophobic-hydrophilic interface of the microsomal bilayer.
- Milk Thistle has also been used to assist bile production and detoxification in traditional Western herbal medicine.
- Silymarin found in Milk Thistle has been shown to stimulate bile salt excretion by expanding the endogenous bile salt pool.
- Silymarin inhibits beta-glucuronidase; an enzyme that removes glucuronic acid from the conjugated substance before elimination, during phase II detoxification pathway.
- Silymarin is also an inhibitor of phase I detoxification.