In the last post I discussed what bloating is and its causes. Fortunately, there are tests that can help us to identify the root cause of your bloating so we can construct a targeted treatment plan. Below is an outline of the types of testing considered when a client comes to us with bloating as a primary symptom.
Common bloating tests that your practitioner may suggest include:
- Coeliac disease screening (gluten sensitivity)
- Transit time test (how long does it take food to pass through)
- Hydrogen and Methane Breath Tests (for fructose malabsorption, lactose intolerance, and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).
- Microbiome Analysis (see what types of organisms are in the gut)
- Elimination Diets (to assess for food intolerance).
Speak to your practitioner as to whether any of these tests may be useful for you.
By Jad Patrick – Counsellor, Mindful Self Compassion Teacher, Naturopath